Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Making it Home

When we moved in 2011, I really began to desire for my house to be decorated in a personal way. I don't like "out of the box" decorations. I don't want my house to look like everyone else's. I want it to be personal. I want it to be colorful and bright and fun. I want it also to be peaceful and and a place of rest. I want my fingerprint here. I want my  kids' fingerprints here. So, thanks to Pinterest, I began to learn and apply those things. You can see some of my earlier attempts here.

So when we moved here, I not only had a fresh slate, there were some things I REALLY wanted to change. The boys room had purple walls. Our bedroom had purple walls. Our bathroom had purple walls. The girls room had puke green walls. The playroom and laundry room had a similar "neutral" with a green undertone. Yuck. We have standard oak stained cabinets.

But I fell in love with this house for so many reasons. We have tile throughout the main living areas. It's not wood, but it's so much easier to keep clean than carpet. We have crown molding. This is stupid, but I love it. We have high ceilings. We have four bedrooms. Our master bath is amazing with a double sink, a jacuzzi tub, and a huge walk in closet. I am humbled and have cried big crocodile tears over how God has blessed us with more than we deserve in this house. We have space to breathe and get away and be together and relax. It is GOOD. It's just a house, but it feels like a big gift from Jesus and I am thankful.

So I wanted to share some of the projects I've undertaken since we moved here in May.

First I painted the boys' room because little boys just should not have a purple bedroom.

 
All three boys used to share this room so we had a bunk bed and a twin bed in there and our fourth bedroom was the playroom. We just moved big brother to the fourth bedroom so the little boys share the bunk bed and have the toys in their room now. Obviously. Ah hem. It doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful right?

I hung the paper chain on their wall because I thought it was fun and it was meaningful because Alaya made it as a birthday gift for Reuben. I still have other decor things I want to do in here, but they will come in time. I made the curtains too. I want to at some point change that up and add a black out liner to them, but they are sufficient for now.

 

Next I painted the girls' room.

 
Alaya is an amazing artist and loves to make art, so I made an "art line" for her to hang her pictures. I also painted an "A" and "E" for Alaya and Ellie here. I know the rooms have lots of clutter, but they are kids ya'll. We live here and I am okay with it looking that way. *grins* This dresser was mine from when I was 12 and Dwayne and I just recently bought new bedroom furniture so we passed ours down to the kids. I'm contemplating painting it white to match the other stuff. I'm a bit wistful at painting it because I still love it so much, but I bet I will end up doing it in the long run.

 
We found this bunk bed at a consignment sale for $150 including mattresses and I painted it white. I found the nightstand at a flea market for $15 a few years back and refinished it also.

Then I painted our bedroom. The practical part of me knew I should go for a neutral color, but I opted to be irresponsible and feed my artsy/imaginative/fun side by painting it a crazy aqua.


You can see my love sign that was originally created a few years back and I added the "love" to after we moved in. Next to that are two smaller paintings I did. One says "I am my Beloved's and my Beloved is mine" (Song of Solomon 6:3) and the other says, "Where you go, I will go. Where you stay, I will stay" (Ruth 1:16).

I'm not going to lie and say I haven't had moments of going, "Oh my gosh! Did I just paint my room that color? What will people think?! I'm so RECKLESS!" And then I take a deep breath and smile and go: "This is AWESOME!" I love my room. It is my sanctuary. It is restful and peaceful and inspiring. And it's just paint. If I get sick of it, I can always change it.

I've done several canvases over the years. I did this one after we moved in:

 

I don't dislike it, but I have another project just waiting for me to sit down and paint that will replace this in the near future. I want to include as much scripture in this house as I can and that is the inspiration for my next project. I made those curtains a few years ago too and I LOVE them.

 

I haven't changed anything here. This shower curtain and rug came with us from our old house and I still love them. I plan on painting the wood on the cabinet in the future. Our bathroom is actually in process right now. The purple walls are changing to gray. I'm going to paint the wooden cabinet either white or a dark stain. Pictures later!

And finally the project I am SO FREAKING PROUD OF...

 
So the library was giving away free books. And I bought a $3 wreath base from Walmart.

 
I started rolling and hot gluing.


 
And wound up with THIS beauty.

Jen Hatmaker actually posted how she had done this over the summer and her post led me to The Nester (remember my 31 Years in 31 Days posts?). Good stuff man. Cost me $3 and it's MASSIVE! So loving it!

Also we recently upgraded Cayle to his own bedroom. We passed down our furniture and gave the puke green walls a makeover:

 

He has NOTHING on his walls yet, but it's coming. He LOVES this room.

Finally here's the place we spend our time, the living room. I'm so thankful for the awesome entertainment cabinet I found on craigslist for $25, our rug which is a remnant carpet that we got for $70, and the other various decor I've made or inherited over the years.
 


 
Yes that's a dog toy  in the middle of the floor. Haters gonna hate. And that's my AWESOME book page wreath hanging above the TV. Swoon.


We don't have a fireplace, so the stockings are hung on the piano with care. I made those stockings last year. They need to be ironed. The piano that needs to be refinished but that was given to us for FREE and is still in decent tune. The mirror I just found at Walmart for $19.99. And I spy Ellie's potty in the floor, because when you have five kids, it makes the most sense for your kid to use the potty where everyone can monitor that situation. You feelin me?
So hi! Welcome to our house. Come sit a while while the villagers run amok around us. We're glad to have you.


1 comment:

  1. It's all beautiful!!! Love it! The aqua bedroom is my favorite :)

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...