Monday, December 22, 2014

Letter to Grief

(Kate Motaung, our "Five Minute Friday" host, has written a book called Letters to Grief. Today she has invited us in to write our own letter to grief because, as I have well learned, writing is healing. Do you have deep hurts? Try writing. You will be surprised by it. Go check out some of the other letters here. And thank you for reading mine!)


Dear Grief,

I would say "Hi Old Friend" except you are an unwelcome guest. I don't even want to call you a guest. A visitor? An annoyance? A bitter hag? Yes, Bitter Hag. You dear Hag have outstayed your welcome here. I am tired of your overwhelming, suffocating, isolating presence. I am tired of tears and anger and hurt. I am tired of looking back.

Yes, that's the root. You make me look back. You make me wallow. You steal my joy and my present. You and the eucharisteo are in direct opposition to each other.

You have made me feel like I have to have it all together and I need to get it all together. I look back over this past year and see the path of destruction like a tornado's path with nothing but pieces left behind. Pieces of me are there. I've been working my mind to exhaustion looking back there and longing for the pieces of myself. Thinking I had to go back there and pick them up and fit them back inside of me. Today a friend said, "No you don't." I thought it wasn't okay for me to not be the same person I was before, but I realized today that that was another lie you told me.


The old me can go. It's supposed to. It feels painful and scary. But Christ is making me new. Always. That's His job. I don't want to fight Him. He is good and trustworthy. You, Bitter Hag are not. You focus on the bad. You steal away the hope that's rightfully mine. And so I'm done with you. This is your eviction notice. You can no longer take up residency in my brain or my heart.

See, my God makes all things new. He turns mourning into dancing. He removes sackcloth and clothes us with joy. And joy is mine if only I'll see it. And joy is now and joy is in the future. Joy is not in the past. 


So good bye Grief, you Bitter Hag. Go back to the pit of hell where you belong. 

As for me and my house, we belong to the Lord.


7 comments:

  1. Very poingent! God Bless. Grief is hard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paula. Grief IS hard. But our God is greater, right? I need Him every hour.

      Delete
  2. Psalm 30:5 is one of my all time favorite verses!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A promise for sure! Thank you for commenting!

      Delete
  3. I wish you hadn't had to live through such a year, sorting through the many lies Bitter Hag has told you. The verses you've included are beautiful truths we all can hold on to, we all can trust even when our hearts don't feel them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing this glimpse into your story. I'm so glad you wrote and linked up. This is my favorite quote: "I've been working my mind to exhaustion looking back there and longing for the pieces of myself. Thinking I had to go back there and pick them up and fit them back inside of me." Very thought-provoking ... Grace and strength to you as you continue to navigate this grief journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate, thank you so much for taking the time to respond! I'm blessed that you and I have crossed paths!

      Delete

Would love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...