Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Through the lens

It is interesting to me how all things in life seem to ebb and flow.

I took a photography class while I was an undergraduate in college. I took it partially out of interest, and partially because it sounded like a fun elective to fill up some needed hours toward my degree. I found that semester a love, a gift, a passion, an outlet for something creative in me.

I'm pretty sure I exist mostly in the right part of my brain, but have been given few natural abilities/outlets for that part. I'm not naturally a good artist, painter, sculptor  etc. I love to write, and in 2003 I discovered that I love to take pictures.

I like to compose.
I love being in a darkroom.
It is simply magical.

So over the years I have continued to practice and watch others. I have had the joy of using my old school Minolta camera to take pictures of my kiddos. I have learned to set up the tripod and self-timer and take pictures of our family when we surely couldn't afford a photographer. I have photographed my siblings' proms, graduations, etc. I did bridal portraits for a sweet friend. And each time I'm behind the camera I feel at home. I feel plugged in and vibrant.

The other thing I get about photography is that it's expensive. And I get why it is expensive because it is work. But I also feel this little voice in my heart that thinks everyone should have pictures of their family. Good ones. Ones they can be proud to put on their wall in a frame. Because pictures are memories. Snapshots of moments in time. And those moments are important. So I like to bless people when I can.

I digress.


I haven't taken pictures of my crew in a while and so, as you can see in my last post, I decided to take some of us. It was super stressful with three kids and I didn't get all of the shots I wanted, but I did get some that I am very proud of!



Then my sister asked me if I could take some of her and her boyfriend (who I'm secretly hoping will one day be my brother-in-law, nudge, nudge)...

Jennifer and Reese

















They're pretty cute. And it was a fun day. :)




Then my sweet friend and neighbor asked me if I would take some of her little family. I was much obliged,  especially since I haven't done this in a while, and suddenly I'm getting to do it three times in less than two months! It feels good to be behind the lens again.


The Gulley Family


Maddox is almost two and he is busy and I love him to bits!


This girl is my soul sista from another mista. Grateful for God's friends at just the right time.






Maddox is having a Yo Gabba Gabba birthday party, so we had to hook him up in his gear.






This family is the first I have photographed besides my own and it was so much fun. I think I've decided that the best way to photograph is to get people comfortable and interacting with each other. No stress, just fun! And let kids be kids. You get great shots that way. :)


Thanks for letting me take you "through the lens" with me. I'm grateful for the opportunity to bless my home with new pictures and now a few others!! I am not really trying to start a business or anything, but if I could be a blessing to your family through photography, please don't hesitate to comment or email and let me know.

1 comment:

  1. Would love to have some of me and Wes!! All of ours seem to be beach oriented, and would like some "everyday" shots, if you will :)

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...