Monday, November 28, 2011

Acts 2

Pinned Image



"They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Everyone was filled with awe, and many wonders and miraculous signs were done by the apostles. All the believers were together and had everything in common. Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need. Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved." (Acts 2:43-47)


These verses are some of the key verses that define what the early church looked like and what I believe is an example, perhaps even THE example, of what doing church should look like today. How many places are we missing it? Are we devoted to each other? To being together? Are we filled with awe at what God is doing? Are we seeing wonders and miraculous signs being done by our brothers and sisters? Are we together, having everything in common? Do we sell our own possessions to give to those who have need? Do we meet daily? Is the Lord adding to our number daily those who are being saved?


When I see this, I grieve. I grieve at where I fail. I grieve at my own weak heart and disregard for the Body of Christ. I grieve at my selfishness.


So often I am focused on my own need. So often I'm longing to be the Body with the Body. I am in the Body, but I feel like a lone finger trying to connect with the finger on the other hand...or the toe. Not working with the finger or the toe because I don't even know where they are. Not letting the Head lead me. I'm focused on needing the Body and forgetting how much the Body needs me. I can't do anything as the lone finger, but the rest of the Body needs me to accomplish her greater work. Her divine purpose. The whole Body needs the WHOLE BODY.


I long for a day where we are devoted. Where I sell the few possessions I have to give to those more needy than me. Heck, to give to those less needy than me! Just needy! I sell those things to GIVE. Man I'm so jacked up. I hold on so tightly to these things that are all going to BURN.


I long for the day when I care more about the fact that my neighbor might be living and dying a life apart from Jesus than the fact that I've got 10 loads of laundry to do.


I long for the day when I don't spend too many hours worrying about how we're going to pay the bills and instead I am in constant prayer and standing in awe of all that the Father is doing, knowing, KNOWING that He is faithful and I don't even have to give it all a second thought.


I long for the day when the church looks like a Body. When Baptist, Methodist, Catholic, Presbyterian, Nondenomational...it all ends. We stop fighting over pretribulation/posttribulation, Calvinism, tongues, baptism. Where we aren't arguing over which method/prayer/tract is the right way for someone to come into the Kingdom and where that isn't our bottom line. Our bottom line becomes leading others into the relationship that King Jesus deserves and demands as true salvation.


I long for Jesus. For His Kingdom come and His will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...