Monday, August 1, 2011

Homeschool 2011-2012




Is it possible?




Today was the kids first day of school at their co-op. Tomorrow is our first day at home this year. Wow.

I was on my A game this year as far as ordering curriculum/planning goes because everything is in my possession (minus our history, but it will be soon) AND I spent less than $200 (amazon.com is my friend). Das wat I'm talkin bout!

I thought I would give a quick run-down of what we're doing. For those of you that don't know, we've chosen a classical approach to education following the plan laid out in The Well-Trained Mind. We also use a local co-op that follows the same approach and allows the kids to have a whole day in school with a different teacher and other students. They do some of the same things at co-op that we do at home but they emphasize history, logic, memory work, and they also get to do art and music. And play. And have fun. :)

Here is the curriculum we'll be using at home this year:

Kindergarten: 
The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading (reading/phonics. We are about 1/4 of the way into this book so she is a little ahead of the game. I'm super proud of her.)
Handwriting without Tears: Letters and Numbers for Me (handwriting. They do most of the book at our co-op but we will practice at home too.)

First grade:
See above for reading. Cayle is ahead of Alaya here and will finish this up this semester.
Spelling Workout A (then B second semester. This is our spelling curriculum.)

I know it will be interesting initially trying to figure out how to schedule our days because we are adding in three additional subjects. Right now I'm thinking I'll have Alaya take a rest time in the afternoons and do the three new subjects with Cayle then. I have figured out how to bounce back and forth so far with the other subjects in the mornings (because we did it, more-or-less last year).

Hopefully this is helpful for someone. If not, at least I'm keeping a record of what we've done to look back on. Ideally I'll write later about how I like our curriculum and if we stick with this stuff or mix it up next year. The beauty of homeschooling. :)

1 comment:

  1. Very excited! Please keep posting lots of homeschooling tips. We are starting with pre-k 3 with Luke this year. And I love the photo idea. I'll be doing that too. Just a heads up on my stealing that.

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...