Sunday, October 3, 2010

The Battle

I open my eyes.

All around me is smoke and haze. Dead men lay all around.

I carry in my arm a giant sword, much bigger than me, and yet strangely light. In my other hand is a shield. The shield is as long as my body and hugely protective. I have full armor on my body, and yet I walk freely.

The enemy lies only feet ahead, advancing quickly. I instinctively stretch out my sword as I march onward. The enemy disintegrates right in front of me. Amazed, I press on.

I glance beside me and I see my husband. He fights also and our armor is the same. My children are right behind and fight with the same swords and shields that we carry. I know this is no ordinary battle.

The grass is blackened with soot. The stench of death lies all around.

All around me are men and women. Families. Children. They fight as we fight.

Suddenly I see a friend. A dear friend. She fights with her family. I am drawn to her. She is getting weaker.

"Where is her husband?" I wonder.
She fights alone with only children beside her.

I glance behind and see her husband has fallen. His sword has been taken from him. The demon tries to disarm his shield, his helmet, his breastplate.

Dwayne and I glance into each other's eyes. We know what we must do.

I run to my friend's side along with my children. I begin to fight with them. The enemy's eyes get large. He is afraid. It is not me whom he fears, but the One who I fight for. The One who has enabled me to fight. The One who gave me my armor. As we wield our swords the enemy disintegrates again.

We glance back to see Dwayne has killed the other demon and assisted our friend's husband in gathering his armor. His sword is in his hand and we all join together again.

But there is a problem. Rather than rejoicing together at the victory, the wife and husband begin to fight each other.The attack is painful to watch. They throw brutal punches and kicks at each other.

Suddenly we see. The demons have attached himself to their backs. We run and fling our swords into the enemy. The pieces scatter in the wind.

Suddenly scales drop off the eyes of the couple. They rub their eyes and look at each other. Suddenly joy fills their hearts. They see that the battle wasn't between them, but the dark, dead enemy. They embrace.

We approach the top of a hill. Looking behind, there are hundreds of thousands of us fighting the same battle.

Looking ahead there is a valley. Down in the valley, lying in wait, are hundreds of thousands of demons.

We tighten our armor and prepare for the battle. We do not fight alone. HE fights for us. We fight as one and we MUST fight as one, or the enemy will demolish us. We have to remember that we don't fight against each other, but against the enemy. We have to remember that our brothers and sisters in the battle need us to fight for them, especially when they become weak.

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes. 12For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand. 14Stand firm then, with the belt of truth buckled around your waist, with the breastplate of righteousness in place, 15and with your feet fitted with the readiness that comes from the gospel of peace. 16In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. 17Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God. 18And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the saints. (Ephesians 6:11-18)




~~I see lots of fallen soldiers around me. The enemy is on the prowl. He is attacking families, marriages, children, churches, men, women. We HAVE to fight. If we do not stand up and fight, the enemy will trample us. We don't fight alone and we don't fight with weapons of this world...


3For though we live in the world, we do not wage war as the world does. 4The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds. 5We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ. (2 Corinthians 10:3-5).


How do we fight? We fight on our knees. We fight with the Word which is the Truth. We lift up our faith when we are weak. We trust in God's character and His goodness.  Our mind is protected with our salvation. Our hearts are guarded with righteousness (our pursuit of holiness), our feet are made ready with peace, our waist is girded in truth (it holds us together). This is our armor. This is how we fight.


We are at war. Will you fight with me? 
Will you fight for your family? 
Will you fight for the Body?


Will you fight?

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that was really powerful!! Good job! Love the metaphors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's spoke to me as if God was speaking thru you! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...