Monday, September 27, 2010

O death, where is your victory?

There are several people who have died in the past week. Not the get-old-and-die kind of death, but the surprising-traumatic-unexpected-gut-wrenching kind of death. Godly men and women. People who got up one morning and went about their day as normal, only to come face-to-face with the reality of eternity before the day was done.

I'm pondering reality. Too often I find that we go about our business without a care in the world until something like this happens. It shakes us. It wakes us. If we're honest, it scares us. These are the moments where you savor your children and your spouse more. Where you linger a little longer over moments of affection. Where you listen a little better and pay more attention. These are the moments where we, in all our humanity, ask, "Why God?"

I was asking this question yesterday morning after finding out that a young friend had lost her husband. 

"Why God?"

"Because this life is fading."

It was so clear. To me this means that soon the King is returning and all the things of this life must pass away before that can happen.

"Now I say this, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable... For this perishable must put on the imperishable, and this mortal must put on immortality. But when this perishable will have put on the imperishable, and this mortal will have put on immortality, then will come about the saying that is written, 'DEATH IS SWALLOWED UP in victory. O DEATH, WHERE IS YOUR VICTORY? O DEATH, WHERE IS YOUR STING?' The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law; but thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ" (1 Corinthians 15:50-57).

This is our only hope. This is the only peace we can have: that of Christ Jesus. In Him and through Him the sting of death is taken away. Satan no longer holds those keys. Death still seems so ugly and awful to those of us here, but the reality is "Better is one day in Your courts than a thousand days elsewhere" (Psalm 84:10).

I guess I'm wrestling through all of this as some of you are. I was crying out to God on behalf of my friends this morning. I was hurting for them and asking God how to pray. Then we started singing this song...




My heart was encouraged. I pray your heart is too.

I know there is Hope. His Name is Jesus. I pray that these tragedies make all of us run to Him as never before. We don't have to live in fear. We should be awake, but God doesn't want us to fear, He wants us to live intentionally. Satan doesn't hold the keys to death or victory. God holds those keys. Satan can only make death appear as ugly as we allow him too.


"Thank You for Your Victory, Jesus. Thank You that death holds no power over us who believe. I pray you would comfort those who mourn now,  Lord. Be near to them as never before. Show those of us that love them how to pray for and encourage them. Help us to bear the burden of grief with them Lord. I pray for Your Kingdom to come SOON Lord. We are needy of You!"

2 comments:

  1. The news was indeed shocking. It made me feel sick inside as I thought about how she must be feeling. But you're so right--He conquered the grave, and WE LIVE. David is alive and well and at His feet, in His arms, and someday, we will see him again, whole and alive! I have been praying for comfort and grace for this mountain.

    Life is a vapor.

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...