Thursday, February 11, 2010

Reflections (in bullet point)

What does it mean to be turning 27 tomorrow?
  • to some I'm still a baby. Not just my parents, or grandparents, but most of my friends who never cease to remind me how much younger than them I am. ;)
  • I'm officially on the "other side" of my twenties. Not gettin any younger. Three years away from 30.
  • I still feel older than I am. I never feel like my age really "fits" me. This isn't because of all I've been through. Physically I'm doing better than I have been in a long time. Its more of a mental/emotional thing.
  • Its been 9 years since I graduated from high school. THAT makes me feel old. It means when I refer to things that happened in 11th grade, it's been ten years. Weird. I find myself saying, "Remember that song?" or some other element of pop culture, and then realizing I just dated myself. Weird.
  • I've survived another year. I'm having another birthday. This should really be at the top of the list but sometimes I feel like I overstate the fact that I've had breast cancer, so I pointedly tried to move it down a little. The good news is that I am healing: physically, emotionally, mentally. I feel like I'm getting stronger and don't feel as consummed by the tidal wave that is cancer. This is good. This is GOD. I can move cancer down a little further in the list and not feel like I'm cheating on all the emotion from it. Wow.
  • Freshness. This is different than January 1, 2010. This is my 27th year of life. What does God have in store for me at 27? I pray it's more of Him. And I pray it is a year of health and increased financial stability for us. We could use a season of rest. Pray with us that way if you will.
  • It means life is passing by at an increasingly rapid pace. I can't slow it down. I can't stop it. All I can do is hang on and attempt to enjoy the ride. Why is it that when we are children and teenagers, moments seem to last forever, but when we become adults moments fly by at warp speed? To make a Forrest Gump-like pun: Life is like Arkansas weather; give it a moment and it will change.
What I need to do this year:
  • Be quiet more. Listen for Jesus. Wait on Him. Relish Him.
  • Enjoy time with my husband more. He is precious. I need to date him more often.
  • Enjoy time with Cayle and Alaya. They are growing up too quickly and I need to be willing to put down my thesis, my laptop, the phone, or turn off Lost to enjoy these sweet moments with them that are gone too quickly.
  • Continue to lose weight. Eat right (by not overreating). Exercise regularly.
What I want to do this year:
  • Remain cancer free and healthy (duh!)
  • Finish my thesis, defend it, complete my coursework, and graduate with my MA in Professional and Technical Writing
  • Start looking into getting said thesis pubished
  • Bless women and my family through Premier. This will help us...
  • Get out of debt.
  • Get a house. Rent or buy, doesn't matter. Somewhere where we can have a yard for our children and where they can each have their own room so that they can get away from each other sometimes.
So here's to another birthday. Another year. 27.

"God I ask you to cover this year with Your hand, Your mercy, Your love. I pray for more of You in me. I pray I would stop and enjoy You and life more. I pray You would be honored and glorified in who I am and how I grow this year. I love You!"

1 comment:

  1. Great list! I agree with you now about what you are asking Him for, and I believe He wants to bless you in these ways!

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...