Monday, September 21, 2009

I will run...

I am running through a field of tall grass. There is brightness all around me. No darkness overshadows me. I am joyful to be in the light. My hand skims the tips of the grass. The wind blows it to and fro. As I continue to run I see the forest up ahead. It is dark there. I cannot see past the first line of trees, but I continue to run. Something in me revolts at the darkness. I should not go there, but my legs propel me forward. As I enter the trees, I notice they tower above me. Suddenly the glittery light is gone. All around me is darkness. I stumble over tree roots. I cry out in pain....

I imagine myself in a dark room. So dark that I cannot see my hand in front of my face. Where is the light? I feel along the cool wall for the switch, but none is to be found. I trip, I stumble, I fall. Is there not a lamp? A flashlight? A window? Why is it so dark? There must be light! My eyes were not made to see without light. They are dialated as wide as they can be and still no light enters them. It is futile...

And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light. God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness.

God is light; in him there is no darkness at all.

You, O Lord, keep my lamp burning; my God turns my darkness into light.

And suddenly it is there. A miniscule flame held by the One who created the light. He beckons. I draw near to Him from the cold, blind darkness. Even the tiny flame illumines the path just enough to see. He walks and I follow. Though I can only see a step or two in front of me, I trust Him because He holds the light. He is the Light.... "in Him there is no darkness at all."

The dark, though enveloping, is cast aside and shattered by the Light. Suddenly, as though the sun were rising, the light begins to increase. It rises from around the Light Himself. It stretches to every corner, every shadow and dispels anything remotely darkened. The Light slowly takes over, inch-by-inch, and then becomes brighter and brighter. Suddenly I see. My path was darkened because I was not looking for the Lightgiver. He was with me, but I only saw darkness because I did not open my eyes...

"And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light."

He is nothing if not pretentious. He is the ultimate deceiver. It would be just like him to pretend to be that which he isn't. It is the Light who said, "I watched Satan fall like lightening from heaven." It is the deceiver who tricks us into following a false light that only leads to darkness. It is he who has deceived the minds of the living into believing that darkness is better than light....


I find myself hating the darkness both figuritively and literally. Literally I hate the darkness because I cannot see. My eyesight is so poor but the defect is exaserbated when the darkness surrounds me. My eyes only dialate so much which often leads to stumbling. Even a small bit of light is beneficial. I gravitate toward light. Who doesn't? We enjoy the sun. We grow weary of the rain. We grow weary of the darkness. People who live in areas with too much darkness have the highest rates of depression and suicide. Is this a coincidence?

Why does most crime happen in the darkness?
The darkness conceals, the light reveals. The darkness clothes and the light lays all things bare.

Is it coincidence that one of our body's most important nutrients is Vitamin D, which is naturally found only in sunlight? Without this nutrient a wide variety of physical health problems lays waste to our already frail bodies.

We need headlights to drive. We need flashlights in the dark. We light candles when our electricity goes out. We need light. We crave it. We long for it...

We need Light.
But some deny it. Isn't it ironic?

Isn't it beautiful and simple that the Maker of Light would create our bodies in such a way that we need light?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear from you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...